The Pinot G Style Spectrum is a labelling tool developed by the AWRI which communicates the style of a Pinot Gris/Grigio wine, using a 0 to 10 scale from Crisp to Luscious. It allows consumers to avoid the confusion caused by the two names for the same variety and gain direct information on what style of wine to expect.
A wine’s classification is based on a sensory panel’s overall impression of the style of the wine, incorporating attributes such as its acidity level, sweetness, fruit flavour intensity, viscosity, palate weight and bitterness. Spectral analysis in the mid infrared region is now used to predict the sensory panel’s Pinot G Style Spectrum scores.
There are now two ways to access a Pinot G Style Spectrum classification for your wine:
Option 1 – Full service option
Most users will wish to access the full service option, which allows use of the Pinot G Style Spectrum graphic on packaging, and gives users the right to communicate results to third parties. This option requires the completion of a Master Licence Agreement, which governs the use of the Pinot G Style Spectrum trademarks.
The following resources are required to access to the ‘full service’ option:
- Step by step guide -full service option
- Master Licence Agreement
- Sample Submission form – full service option
- Pinot G Style Spectrum Style guide
- Example Schedule 1
Option 2 – Restricted use option
Some users, however, may wish to find out the Pinot G Style Spectrum rating for their wine, purely for internal company use. These users are not required to complete any Licensing paperwork, but are not permitted to communicate their results to third parties under any circumstances, and will not receive the Pinot G Style Spectrum label graphic. This option is most suited to wines that have already been packaged.
The following resources are required to access the restricted use option:
If you have any queries about the Pinot G Style Spectrum, including which option is best for you, please contact us by email: pinotGstylespectrum@awri.com.au or by phone on 08 8313 6600.
Additional Pinot G Style Spectrum resources include::
- Robinson, E., Godden, P., Francis, L., Cozzolino, D., Smith, P. (2011) Understanding and targeting Australian Pinot G styles. Technical Review 191 : 7-11
- Robinson, E., Francis, L., Cozzolino, D., Smith, P., Godden, P. (2011) Cutting through the confusion around Pinot G. Australian and New Zealand Grapegrower and Winemaker 567 : 48-54
Original article copyright © Winetitles 2011. Reproduced with permission.
- Commercial Services – Forms
* If you are using Microsoft Word XP or Microsoft Word 2003, please download the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint File Formats update to open these files.