AWRI Commercial Services offers a variety of services related to packaging. This page presents information on shelf-life studies, closure assessments, total package oxygen and bottling line oxygen management.
Available facilities include a designated small-scale packaging operation, capable of small-volume product runs, with the ability to package both still and carbonated products in a range of different packaging formats. This new capability assists with the management and planning of shelf-life studies for a vast range of products.
For more information, please contact Neil Scrimgeour on 08 8313 0892 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Oxygen transmission rate testing
- Consumer impact studies (O’Brien, V., Francis, I.L., Osidacz, P. Packaging choices affect consumer enjoyment of wines. Australian & New Zealand Wine Industry Journal 48-54: 2010. Reprinted with permission)
Total package oxygen (TPO)
Bottling line assessments
- Benchmarking of oxygen management at bottling
- Case study: Benchmarking results from the oxygen management audit of a mobile bottling line
- Bottling line microbiological audits
- The winemaker’s guide to wine in a can
- Current AWRI research project: Understanding and mitigating the development of reductive characters in canned wine
- Canned wine: New information for preparing wines for canning (Enartis webinar 25 May 2020, including presentations from Neil Scrimgeour and Dr Eric Wilkes)
- Extending the shelf life of canned wines (AWRI webinar 7 October 2021)
- Extending the shelf life of commercial canned wines through manipulation of transition metals content (AWITC poster 2019)
- Understanding the development of reductive compounds in commercial canned wines (AWITC poster 2019)
- Scrimgeour, N., Hirlam, K., Bey, L., Wilkes, E. .2020. Extending the shelf life of canned wines. Aust. N.Z. Grapegrower Winemaker 674: 68-71. Contact the AWRI library to request a copy.