Agrochemical Updates, eBulletin

Agrochemical update – spray drift

Off-target agrochemical exposure or ‘spray drift’ has been gaining attention recently in mainstream and social media. This agrochemical update provides a reminder of who to contact if a spray drift incident is suspected.

Reporting spray drift incidents

Agricultural chemical users have a legal obligation to ensure that the chemicals they apply stay within the target area. If a spray drift incident is suspected, it should be reported to the appropriate authority, so they can investigate the extent of the damage, advise on the possible causes and take further action. Responsibility for addressing incidents of off-target spray drift lies with each state and territory government. The table below provides phone numbers for the relevant organisation depending on your location. Further details are also provided on the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority website, but if you are in any doubt, please contact the AWRI helpdesk for assistance.

State or territory Who to contact in case of spray drift
Australian Capital Territory Environment Protection Authority – 132 281
New South Wales Environment Protection Authority – 131 555
Queensland Biosecurity Queensland – 132 523
South Australia Biosecurity SA – 1300 799 684
Tasmania AgVet Chemicals Program – 03 6777 2133
Victoria Agriculture Victoria – 136 186
Western Australia Department of Health – 08 9222 4222

Testing vines or wine for residues

Residue testing of foliage, fruit or wine may be appropriate depending on the circumstances of the spray drift incident and grape purchaser requirements. Contact the AWRI helpdesk to discuss the best options.

For further information about spray drift or any other technical matter, please contact the AWRI helpdesk on (08) 8313 6600 or email