The AWAC is presented under a four-day format, which includes approximately 40 hours of activities over four days. Twelve leading wine show judges, journalists and winemakers assist in the presentation of the course.
The aims of the course include:
- providing training in the techniques and practices of wine show judging
- investigating and challenging the criteria on which tasters make decisions on wine quality and preference
- improving participants’ ability to communicate clearly and effectively with other judges and to justify their reasoning for allocating wines at different quality levels
- improving participants’ appreciation and recognition of different wine styles, blends or regional character
- providing a statistical evaluation of tasting performance with respect to:
- discrimination – the degree to which wines of different quality levels are separated based on quality score
- reliability – a measure of scoring consistency, or the ability of a judge to reproduce results on different tasting occasions
- absolute average difference – a more straightforward measure of consistency – the average difference between scores given to wines on repeat tastings
- stability – a measure of propensity to systematically score wines higher or lower on the second tasting relative to the first
The AWRI also offers themed tasting courses. Visit the AWRI events calendar for a full listing of upcoming events or contact the events team on 08 8313 6600 or email@example.com
To ensure the safety of all participants, additional spacing and hygiene measures will be put in place to comply with government health guidelines and social distancing requirements. Additional information on hygiene requirements for wine judging and tasting processes can be found in the ASVO Wine Show Best Practice Recommendations Addendum 1 (2020).
2021 course dates
Dates for November 2021 courses to be advised.
All Advanced Wine Assessment Courses are held in person at the Australian Wine Research Institute, Adelaide, South Australia
Registration for the AWAC:
By completing this application, you will automatically be entered into the ballot for any AWAC courses.
$4,900 (AUD) including GST
Due to the extensive list of people interested in participating in the course, and if demand exceeds the number of available places, an allocation of places will be made using a ballot system. By registering yourself for the Advanced Wine Assessment course, you will automatically be entered into the ballot for any AWAC courses held. The AWRI does, however, reserve the right not to place applicants if it is considered they do not have sufficient formal wine tasting experience to enable them to participate fully in the course.
AWRI Events Team
Phone: (08) 8313 6600