Technical Review is the AWRI’s own technical publication, which includes updates on AWRI research, development and extension and a curated selection of current grape and wine literature from around the world.
Open access articles are linked to publishers’ websites where you can read full-text articles. Australian winemakers and grapegrowers who pay the Wine Grapes or Grape Research levies can log in (via the abstracts and request copies link next to each topic) to read abstracts and request non-open access journal articles by selecting the article and adding it to the cart. If you have forgotten your password for the AWRI website, please use the forgotten password link to reset your password.
Articles are grouped by topics and can be viewed by clicking on the arrow next to each heading.
- Alicante Bouschet. Wine & Viticulture Journal.
- Ask the AWRI: Effects of COVID-19 on sense of smell. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- Ask the AWRI: Importing new grape varieties. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- Ask the AWRI: Techniques to detect Brettanomyces before it’s too late. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- Construction of a synthetic Saccharomyces cerevisiae pan-genome neo-chomosome. Nature Communications.
- Float or sink? Comparing the impacts of flotation and cold settling on the non-volatile composition, taste and mouthfeel of white wines. Wine & Viticulture Journal.
- Growing shoots of sustainability. Wine & Viticulture Journal.
- Influence of amino acids, and their interaction with volatiles and polyphenols, on the sensory properties of red wine. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research.
- Introducing Affinity Labs – a new identity for the AWRI’s commercial activities. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- KU80 deletion does not improve homologous recombination in Brettanomyces bruxellensis. Authorea.
- Molecular approaches improving our understanding of Brettanomyces physiology. FEMS Yeast Research.
- Surface chemistry mediated albumin adsorption, conformational changes and influence on innate immune responses. Applied Surface Science.
Analysis, composition and quality control
- ASEV 2021 Keynote Lecture: New insights into bound SO2 and wine oxidation. Wine Business Monthly.
- Benchmarking spectroscopic techniques combined with machine learning to study oak barrels for wine ageing. Biosensors.
- Browning development and antioxidant compounds in white wines after selenium, iron, and peroxide addition. Applied Sciences.
- Calcium tartrate instability. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- Cross-flow impacts on wine filterability and performance monitoring. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- Effect of microoxygenation applied before and after malolactic fermentation on monomeric phenolics and tannin composition of Pinot Noir wine. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research.
- Effect of microoxygenation on acetaldehyde, yeast and colour before and after malolactic fermentation on Pinot Noir wine. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research.
- Hope for alternative to sulfur dioxide fades. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- New insights into the origin of volatile sulfur compounds during wine fermentation and their evolution during aging. Fermentation.
- Partial carbonic maceration in Merlot. Wine Business Monthly.
- Pepper aromas and rotundone: Part 2 of 2 – Impact of environmental factors, viticultural practices and winemaking techniques. [French] Revue des Oenologues.
- Sulfonation reactions behind the fate of white wine’s shelf-life. Metabolites.
- Sulfur dioxide: understanding its past, present and a view into the future. Wine Business Monthly.
- Transfer of pesticide residues from grapes (Vitis vinifera) into wine – Correlation with selected physicochemical properties of the active substances. Toxics.
- Understanding smoke exposure results: Pinot noir baseline concentrations of smoke impact markers across five vintages. Catalyst: Discovery into Practice.
- Use of Fe (II) and H2O2M along with heating for the estimation of the browning susceptibility of white wine. Applied Sciences.
- Bio-acidification of wine using Lachancea thermotolerans yeast. [French] Revue des Oenologues.
- Ecological distribution and oenological characterization of native Saccharomyces cerevisiae in an organic winery. Fermentation.
- Innovative use of Non-Saccharomyces in bio-protection: T. delbrueckii and M. pulcherrima applied to a machine harvester. Catalyst: Discovery into Practice.
- Isolation and characterization of high-ethanol-tolerance lactic acid bacteria from Australian wine. Foods.
Packaging, storage and transport
- A heavy price. Decanter.
- Canned wine powers up. Harpers Wine & Spirit.
- Influence of vibration on the consumption of oxygen and sulfur dioxide in wine bottles considering bottle position and headspace volume. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture.
- Reusable wine bottles slowly gaining ground. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- A closeup look at the ‘dealcoholised wine’ trend. [French] Revue Francaise d’Oenologie.
Taints and faults
- Potential levels of volatile phenols in Burgundy wines. Part 1: The effects of wine-growing and wine-making parameters.[French] Revue Francaise d’Oenologie.
- Analysis of free hydrogen sulfide in wines using gas detection tubes. Catalyst: Discovery into Practice.
- Natural product phenolic diglycosides created from wildfires, defining their impact on California and Oregon grapes and wines. Journal of Natural Products.
- Potential levels of volatile phenols in Burgundy wines. Part 1: The effects of wine-growing and wine-making parameters. Revue Francaise d’Oenologie.
- Accuro: Fast-tracking the aging progress. New Zealand Winegrower.
- How to make a mineral wine? Relationship between production type in the Chablis vineyard and the search for a mineral wine style. OENO One.
- Membrane dialysis for partial dealcoholization of white wines. Membranes.
- Monitoring of Sangiovese red wine chemical and sensory parameters along one-year aging in different tank materials and glass bottle. ACS Food Science & Technology.
- Research supplement: Pre-fermentation tannin additions to Pinot noir. New Zealand Winegrower.
- The future of potassium bitartrate stabilization: minimizing energy, wine loss, and treatment time. Catalyst: Discovery into Practice.
- Use of microwave maceration in red winemaking: Effect on fermentation and chemical composition of red wines. Molecules.
- Decarbonising wine: Wine leaders as climate leaders. New Zealand Winegrower.
- Energy consumption and CO2 emissions related to wine production: The case study of a winery in Douro wine region-Portugal. Sustainability.
- Point of view: Sustainability trends challenges and opportunities in 2022 and beyond. New Zealand Winegrower.
- Residual biomass recovery in the wine sector: Creation of value chains for vine pruning. Agriculture.
- Wine’s carbon footprint: Counting the costs and lessening the impact. The World of Fine Wine.
- A bibliometric review of the use of unmanned aerial vehicles in precision agriculture and precision viticulture for sensing applications. Remote Sensing.
- Cropsy: Bringing the power of AI to vineyard monitoring. New Zealand Winegrower.
- Experimentation during wine grape production in Australia: motivations, approaches and opportunities for change. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research.
- Old vines begin to capture the wine world’s attention. Wine Business Monthly.
- Sensing and automation for vineyards: What it is and how to plan for it. Wine Business Monthly.
- ‘The wine world has some dangerously alluring myths’. Decanter.
- Unripe grapes: an overview of the composition, traditional and innovative applications, and extraction methods of a promising waste of viticulture. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research.
- What role might precision viticulture play in the transition to environmental agriculture? [French] Revue des Oenologues.
Climate and weather
- High temperature alters anthocyanin concentration and composition in grape berries of Malbec, Merlot, and Pinot Noir in a cultivar-dependent manner. Plants.
- Industry roundtable: Dealing with drought. Wine Business Monthly.
- Projections of climate change impacts on flowering-veraison water deficits for Riesling and Müller-Thurgau in Germany. Remote Sensing.
- Application of foliar urea to grapevines: productivity and flavour components of grapes. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research.
- Manipulating nitrogen and water resources for improved cool climate vine to wine quality. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture.
- Mineral nutrient management methods. Wine Business Monthly.
- California soil: Italian soul. Decanter.
- Emerging varieties: Pinot Blanc is all white. WBM: Australia’s Wine Business Magazine.
- Furmint: the journey continues. Decanter.
- Gamay uncorked: the black sheep of France. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- Helping vines protect themselves growing on rootstock. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- Kékfrankos: the blue of the Danube. Decanter.
- Montepulciano Uncorked – Upping the Monte. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- New Spanish whites. Decanter.
- Pinot vineyard with devil in the detail. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- Resistant varieties: the next step toward sustainability. Will consumers agree? Wine Business Monthly.
- The irresistible rise of Australian Grenache. The World of Fine Wine.
- Varietal investigation: adaptation to climate change in the Provencal wine region. [French] Revue des Oenologues.
Pests, diseases and viruses
- Application of elicitors in grapevine defense: Impact on volatile compounds. Horticulturae.
- Application of infrared imaging for early detection of Downy Mildew (Plasmopara viticola) in grapevine. Agriculture.
- Biosecurity update: The Biosecurity Vineyard Register. New Zealand Winegrower.
- Coming clean on farm-gate hygiene. WBM: Australia’s Wine Business Magazine.
- Critical timing of fungicide application for pruning wound protection control grapevine trunk diseases. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research.
- Crop-spraying with drones. [French] Le Vigneron Champenois.
- Grapevine trunk diseases. Part 1 of 2: Life cycle of the botryosphaeria fungi in the vineyard. [French] Revue des Oenologues.
- Mixtures of macro and micronutrients control grape powdery mildew and alter berry metabolites. Plants.
- Monitoring powdery mildew presence: Power of spore traps and CVC Spore Trap Network TM. Wine Business Monthly.
- Results from following the sensitivity of populations of P. viticola, the agent of mildew, and E. necator, the agent of powdery mildew, to fungicides in 2021. [French] Le Vigneron Champenois.
- Abscisic acid and proline are not equivalent markers for heat, drought and combined stress in grapevines. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research.
- Autonomous phenological development in different Merlot grapevine shoots. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture.
- Differential influence of timing and duration of bunch bagging on volatile organic compounds in Cabernet Sauvignon berries (Vitis vinifera L.). Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research.
- Effects of elevated atmospheric carbon dioxide on the vineyard system of Vitis vinifera: A review. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture.
- Forever young? Late shoot pruning affects phenological development, physiology, yield and wine quality of Vitis vinifera cv. Malbec. Agriculture.
- Grapevine row orientation, vintage and grape ripeness effect on anthocyanins, flavan-3-ols, flavonols and phenolic acids: I. Vitis vinifera L. cv. Syrah grapes. OENO One.
- Historic vintage in DOCa Rioja: ‘Missing’ polyphenols during grape maturation in Tempranillo. [Spanish] La Semana Vitivinicola.
- Methods for continual production of grapevine plants grown from green cuttings, with repeated budburst induction, in an environmentally controlled greenhouse. Australian Journal of Grape and Wine Research.
- Rootstock, vine vigor, and light mediate methoxypyrazine concentrations in the grape bunch rachis of Vitis vinifera L. cv. Cabernet Sauvignon. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
- Grapevine rootstock and soil microbiome interactions: Keys for a resilient viticulture. Horticulture Research.
- Managing cover crops: optimising results. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- Vineyard nexus: New weed paradigm. New Zealand Winegrower.
- A few words on grapevine winter buds and pruning in consideration of sap flow. IVES Technical Reviews. Vine and Wine.
- Deep learning and computer vision for assessing the number of actual berries in commercial vineyards. Biosystems Engineering.
- Effects of artificial shading and defoliation measures on grape health, grape quality and wine quality with the grape variety ‘Chardonnay’ (Vitis vinifera L.) in the winegrowing region Southern Styria. [German] Mitteilungen Klosterneuburg Rebe und Wein.
- Facing spring frost damage in grapevine: Recent developments and the role of delayed winter pruning – A review. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture.
- Influence of different defoliation timings on quality and phenolic composition of the wines produced from the Serbian autochthonous variety Prokupac (Vitis vinifera L.). Horticulturae.
- Investigations into the effect of stem height on grape yield and quality of the variety ‘Zweigelt’ over eleven years. [German] Mitteilungen Klosterneuburg Rebe und Wein.
- Mechanical pruning and soil organic amending in two terroirs. Effects on wine chemical composition and sensory profile. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture.
- Mechanization of pruning, canopy management, and harvest in winegrape vineyards. Catalyst: Discovery into Practice.
- Performance of early fruit-zone leaf removal in Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot in an arid climate. Catalyst: Discovery into Practice.
- Pinot noir crop estimation method allows growers to estimate yields earlier than lag phase. Catalyst: Discovery into Practice.
- Research supplement: Timing of mechanical shaking to reduce botrytis bunch rot in Sauvignon blanc. New Zealand Winegrower.
- Semi-wide vines in Champagne: Part 2 of 3 – Environmental, economic and ergonomic aspects. [French] Le Vigneron Champenois.
- Semi-wide vines in Champagne: Part 3 of 3 – Effect on the landscape. [French] Le Vigneron Champenois.
Water and irrigation
- Combining precision viticulture technologies and economic indices to sustainable water use management. Water.
- Integrative approach of the hydraulic architecture and physiological thresholds of resistance to drought in cultivars. [French] Revue des Oenologues.
- Research supplement: Subsurface irrigation to reduce undervine weed growth. New Zealand Winegrower.
- Tapping into vineyard irrigation options. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.
- Winemaker trial: Optimizing irrigation efficiency with satellite technology. Wine Business Monthly.
Business, economy and trade
- New horizons: The benefits of free trade between Australia and India for wine exporters. Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker.