This page provides links to information on vineyard soil health, soil analysis, salinity, management practices to improve soil structure and grapevine nutrition.
- What is soil health? (AWRI fact sheet)
- Assessing soil health in a vineyard (AWRI fact sheet)
- Wine Australia’s soil health resources
- Soil health and soil water holding capacity (AWRI webinar 8 September 2022)
- Soil health checklist – what to measure to assess soil health (AWRI webinar 28 November 2019)
- Soil health (AWRI webinar 20 August 2015)
- Regenerative viticulture – what, how and why (AWRI webinar 17 November 2022)
- Vineyard management practices to improve soil health (AWRI fact sheet)
- Improving soils 1 (Viticare on farm trial manual)
- Improving soils 2 (Viticare on farm trial manual)
- Soil health information pack
- Measuring the infiltration rate of water into soil using the ring infiltrometer method (AWRI fact sheet)
- Measuring organic carbon in soil (AWRI fact sheet)
- Ask the AWRI: Soil analysis and soil carbon: what should you be looking for when getting your soil tested? (PDF article)
- Optimising the management of soils and organic matter (AWRI webinar 23 September 2016)
- A method for examining grapevine root systems (AWRI fact sheet)
- Soil moisture monitoring (AWRI fact sheet)
- Measuring soil pH (AWRI fact sheet)
- Measuring soil porosity (AWRI fact sheet)
- Taking soil samples (AWRI fact sheet)
- Measuring soil strength (AWRI fact sheet)
- A method for assessing soil structure (AWRI fact sheet)
- Managing soil structure in established vineyards (AWRI webinar 19 October 2017)
- Soil profiling (Viticare on farm trial manual)
SOIL CARBON SEQUESTRATION
- Soil health, carbon and undervine management in a dry climate (AWRI webinar 10 August 2023)
- Building soil carbon in vineyards (AWRI webinar 23 September 2021)
- Can carbon sequestration in vineyard soils offset greenhouse gas emissions? (AWRI webinar 28 October 2021)
- Introduction to soil carbon – what you need to know (Agriculture Victoria eLearn module 19 July 2023)
- Longbottom, M. 2021. Ask the AWRI: Carbon accounting Aust. N.Z. Grapegrower Winemaker (694): 44-45.
- Soil carbon under-vine (University of Adelaide demonstration video 31 July 2023)
- Clarifying carbon: what are carbon stocks? (University of Adelaide fact sheet)
- Clarifying carbon: plants, soils and carbon? (University of Adelaide fact sheet)
- Australian wineries fighting the rise of carbon. 2019. Australian Wine Selectors.
- The Porto Protocol – An international foundation fostering climate solutions for the wine industry.
- Smart, R., Bruer, D., Collins, C., Corsi, A., Jeffrey, I., Karantonis, C., Lockshin, L., Muhlack, R., Oemcke, D., Pike, B., Wilkes, E. 2020. Towards Australian grape and wine industry carbon neutrality… the possible dream. Aust. N.Z. Grapegrower Winemaker (680): 100, 102-105.
- White, R.E., Davidson, B., Eckard, R. 2021. An everyman’s guide for landholders to participate in soil carbon farming in Australia. Australian Farm Institute. Occasional paper 21.01.
- White, R., Madden, N., Cass, A. 2021. Can carbon sequestration in vineyard soils provide an internationally valid offset for greenhouse gas emissions? Wine Bus. Monthly. September 2021: 42-49.
- White, R.E. 2020. The value of soil knowledge in understanding wine terroir. Environ. Sci. 8: 1-6.
- White, R., Davidson, B. 2020. Is carbon farming an efficient means of offsetting Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions? Farm Policy J. 17(1): 17-21
Contact AWRI information services to order copies of articles not available online.
- Measuring soil salinity (AWRI fact sheet)
- Wine Australia’s salinity resources
- Salinity – practical information for growers (AWRI webinar 8 November 2018)
- Ask the AWRI: Salt in grapes and wine a common issue (PDF article)
- Salinity management interpretation guide – A guide for the wine grape industry – SA Central (PDF download)
- Griffith grape marc mulch trial (AWRI presentation July 2012)
- Ask the AWRI: Using composted grape marc in the vineyard (PDF article)
- Nitrogen fertilisation (AWRI fact sheet)
- Phosphorus fertilisation (AWRI fact sheet)
- Potassium fertilisation (AWRI fact sheet)
- Trace elements (AWRI fact sheet)
- Petiole analysis (AWRI fact sheet)
- Soil acidification (AWRI fact sheet)
- Liming (AWRI fact sheet)
- Ask the AWRI: What are the benefits of nutritional analysis and how do I get the most from the results? (PDF article)
- Ask the AWRI: Vineyard nitrogen management in a urea-limited world (PDF article).
- Nitrogen use efficiency in vineyards (AWRI webinar 7 September 2023)
- Nutrition RTP workshop – Managing grapevine nutrition in a changing environment
- Vine nutrition (Viticare on farm trial manual)
BUNCH STEM NECROSIS