Following smoke exposure of a vineyard, the AWRI recommends assessing the risk of smoke taint via a combination of analytical testing of grapes and sensory assessment of a small-scale ferment made from the same grapes. This page provides links to key resources to assist producers with conducting small-scale ferments and smoke sensory assessments. For assistance, please contact the AWRI helpdesk on firstname.lastname@example.org or 08 8313 6600.
- Smoke sensory assessment demonstration video and method
- Small-lot fermentation method and video (preparing samples for evaluation)
- The AWRI’s smoke webpage – detailed information and resources on smoke taint
- General information about sensory assessments
- Case study: consumer acceptance of smoke-affected wines