This page provides a collection of resources related to wine packaging, storage and transport.
- Is it the closure or the wine?
Wilkes, E. Is it the closure or the wine? Wine & Viticulture Journal 31 (6), 24-25; 2016
- Bulk wine transportation [25MB] This report presents results from several trials shipping wine in bulk from Australia to the UK under different conditions (different shipping routes, filling temperatures and bulk container types). Sensory and chemical analysis and temperature logging were performed. No major sensory differences were observed. Australian grape and wine R&D levy payers can obtain a password to access the full report above by contacting the AWRI helpdesk – firstname.lastname@example.org or (08) 8313 6600.
- Technical Note – Thermal expansion data for wine This technical note provides a summary of the thermal expansion data for wine, which can be used to predict changes in the volume of wine at various temperatures during storage, as well as to calculate the headspace/ullage volumes required during bottling.
- Technical Note – The effects of heat and light on wine during storage It is important to understand that the environmental conditions under which a wine is stored can have a big effect on wine quality. Both heat and light exposure will have an impact, and can ultimately affect the wine’s ageing potential. High temperatures can cause wine to age much faster and in extreme situations can cause expansion and leakage. Light exposure can also affect the taste of a wine through the production of volatile sulfur compounds, known as ‘lightstruck’ flavour. This technical note provides a brief summary of the effects of both heat and light on wine storage, including recommendations for ideal storage temperatures.
- Ask the AWRI: Trouble-free packaging
Holdstock, M. Ask the AWRI: trouble-free packaging Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker (617), p. 92; 2015
- Microbiological stability of wine packaging in Australia and New Zealand
Tran, T., Wilkes, E., Johnson, D. Microbiological stability of wine packaging in Australia and New Zealand Wine & Viticulture Journal 30 (2), 46-49; 2015
- AWRI workshop wraps up packaging problems
Cowey, G. AWRI workshop wraps up packaging problems Australian & New Zealand Grapegrower & Winemaker (588), 71-72; 2013
- Information pack – oxygen exposure during winemaking and packing. This is a collection of research articles on the effects of oxygen on wine, both during winemaking and after packaging. Articles can be ordered via this page from the AWRI Library.