21 June 2022
The AWRI Board is today launching a search for two non-executive Directors, one of whom who would act as Chair from January 2023.
The position of Chair will become vacant in December 2022, when highly respected and long-standing Chair, Louisa Rose, reaches the end of her term on the Board under the rules of the AWRI Board Charter.
A nominations committee has been formed to recruit the two new Directors. More information about the positions and how to apply is available from the AWRI Careers webpage.
This recruitment follows an industry consultation period in October 2021 in which changes to the AWRI Board’s composition and appointment processes were proposed to ensure the AWRI remains up to date with best-practice corporate governance and continues to meet the needs of the Australian grape and wine industry. The proposed changes were approved by the AWRI Board in February 2022. These changes include:
- The introduction from January 2023 of a position elected by Grape Research Levy payers
- Reducing the number of positions elected by levy payers from six to four, including one position nominated and elected by each of the small, medium and large category Wine Grapes Levy payers and one position nominated and elected by Grape Research Levy payers.
- Increasing the maximum number of Appointed Director positions from four to six, to ensure an appropriate balance of skills and diversity (including geography).
- Introducing a nominations committee, made up of a mix of independent members and current Directors, to assist in the selection and reappointment of Appointed Directors.
- Incorporating an open recruitment process for the appointment of Appointed Directors, seeking expressions of interest to address identified gaps in the Board’s skills and diversity.
- Introducing a gender diversity quota for non-executive Director positions, specifying a minimum of at least four Directors of either gender.
AWRI stakeholders are encouraged to circulate this opportunity among their networks, to ensure the widest possible pool of qualified candidates for these important roles.
For more information about the changes to the AWRI Board’s composition and appointment processes, contact AWRI Company Secretary, Shiralee Dodd on (08) 8313 6600 or Shiralee.Dodd@awri.com.au.